Whether you’re trying to set up a gaming station in your bedroom or you want to bring your Switch games to the big screen, you’ll need to know how to connect your Nintendo Switch to a projector.
Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to do it.
Can I connect Nintendo Switch to projector?
The Nintendo Switch is a versatile gaming system that can be used on any projector with an HDMI connection. The console has been designed to connect to different displays seamlessly and easily.
Don’t worry if your Nintendo Switch and projector don’t match up perfectly, using a suitable adapter will allow you to bridge any connectivity gap between the two.
How to connect Nintendo Switch to projector?
The Nintendo Switch’s docking station makes it easy to connect your console with a projector.
To connect Nintendo Switch to projector, follow these steps:
1. First, Open the back cover of the dock.
2. If projector and Nintendo Switch both have HDMI ports, connect one end of a HDMI cable into the HDMI OUT port on the dock.
3. Plug the other end of the cable into the HDMI port of the projector. If the projector does not have an HDMI port, then connect the HDMI cable to the right kind of adapter for the projector.
4. Close the back cover of the Nintendo Switch’s dock.
5. To dock your Nintendo Switch console, first remove the joy-con controllers from the sides. If they were not attached to the console, you will need to register them before using them as wireless controllers.
6. Turn on your Nintendo Switch and projector.
7. Select HDMI as the source on your projector.
How to connect Nintendo Switch to projector without dock?
In order to connect your Nintendo Switch to a projector without the dock, you will need a USB-C to HDMI adapter.
This can be tested by using a standard USB-C to HDMI adapter. This type of adapter has three inputs, just like the back of the Switch’s dock, and a single USB-C output.
To connect Nintendo Switch to projector without dock, follow these steps:
1. Connect one end of the HDMI cable to your projector.
2. Connect the other end of the HDMI cable to your USB-C adapter.
3. Plug the Nintendo Switch power adapter into an outlet and the other end to the USB-C adapter.
4. Now plug the adapter into your Switch.
Connecting your Switch to a projector is a straightforward process, however, there are different types of USB-C to HDMI adapters. Make sure you have a high-quality adapter that is compatible with the Nintendo Switch.
Adapters to connect Nintendo Switch to projector
If your projector doesn’t have an HDMI port, you can connect your Nintendo Switch with the help of a converter or adapter.
With the HDMI output of your Switch dock, you can easily convert it into any other format that is needed for use with projectors.
The types of ports on your projector will determine what type or adapter you need to use.
These can include:
How to connect Nintendo Switch to PC/Laptop?
Connecting your Nintendo Switch to a PC or laptop is a bit different compared to a projector.
To connect your switch to a PC or laptop you will need a USB HDMI video capture adapter.
- Plug one end of the HDMI cable into the USB HDMI video capture adapter.
- Connect the adapter to the USB port on your PC or laptop.
- Make sure the Switch is in the dock and turn it on and remove the controllers.
- Download a free copy of OBS Studio and open the software.
- Once inside OBS Studio, click on the + sign on the bottom left and select Audio Input Capture. Click on OK for any prompts that pop up.
- Click on the + sign again, and this time select Video Capture Device.
- Select UBS Video from the drop-down menu. You should be able to see your Switch mirrored on your PC or laptop screen.
If can’t hear any game audio:
1. Right-click your game audio input (settings icon) then click advance Audio Properties.
2. Change your audio monitoring settings for your audio input capture for your game.
3. Click monitor only (mute output) or monitor and output.
If you want to enhance your gaming experience even further, right-click your game console on the sources in OBS and select Full-Screen Projector to play on a widescreen.
How to connect Nintendo Switch to smartboard?
To connect a Nintendo Switch to a smartboard, you might need an HDMI to VGA adapter. One end will connect with the Switch dock and the other end will connect to the smartboard.
If you are lucky, the HDMI port might be embedded in the wall below the projector. Or it might only be accessible on the projector itself. If that is the case, you may need a long HDMI cable.
The built-in speakers of the projector may not produce the best sound for gaming. You can connect external speakers to improve the sound output.
How to connect Nintendo Switch Lite to projector?
Unfortunately, you can’t connect a Nintendo Switch Lite projector. Nintendo removed the ability to connect the new Switch Lite to your TV. They did this by changing the size so it wouldn’t fit in a standard Switch dock and by actually removing the USB-C display hardware.
They lowered the price because they no longer needed a more powerful GPU that could drive a 1080p display. They only needed one that was strong enough to run the 720p of the Switch Lite’s installed screen.
How to connect Nintendo Switch to TV?
To connect Nintendo Switch to TV, follow these steps:
1. Open the back cover of the dock.
2. Connect the USB plug from the AC adapter into the top AC Adapter port, then connect the other end of the to a wall outlet.
3. Connect one end of the HDMI cable into the bottom HDMI OUT port, then connect the other end into an HDMI port on your TV or monitor.
4. Close the back cover of the dock.
5. Remove the Joy-Con controllers from the console.
6. Insert the console into the dock.
7. Turn the TV on and select the correct HDMI input.
So, if you have an old projector lying around somewhere, don’t fret. There are plenty of ways to get it up and running with your Switch.
And even if your projector can’t be used with HDMI, adapters, and converters are available that will give you the same great experience. Give one of these solutions a try and start gaming on the big screen today.