If you’re printing from an Epson printer at home and you see the message “Filter Failed,” don’t panic! In most cases, this problem can be easily fixed.
In this article, we’ll walk you through some simple steps to get your printer back up and running.
Keep in mind that these instructions may vary depending on the model of Epson printer you have. So if you’re not sure what to do, be sure to consult your printer’s manual.
With a little bit of effort, you should be able to get your printer printing again in no time.
What does it mean when Epson printer says filter failed?
When your Epson printer has a filter failed error, it means that this component of your printing system is not able to function correctly.
The most common reason for this problem is faulty driver software. If you don’t fix the error, you will find that your printer doesn’t print correctly or at all.
How do I fix my filter failed on my Epson printer?
How to fix printer Filter Failed Error on Windows?
To troubleshoot printer filter failed error on Windows:
- Switch off your printer your computer and unplug them from the power source.
- Wait for a couple of minutes and turn your computer and printer back on.
- Open Settings > Devices > Printers & Scanners.
- Under Printers & Scanners, find your printer and click on it once. You should see the option to Remove device.
- Head over to Epson’s official website and download the latest driver updates for your printer.
- After downloading and installation, make a test print to see if your filter failed error has been fixed.
How do you fix Filter Failed on Epson printer Mac?
Reinstalling the device’s software usually removes the issues in the software.
To troubleshoot printer filter failed error on Mac:
- Turn off your printer.
- Open System Preferences and click on Print & Fax.
- Select your printer and remove it.
- Close the Print & Fax window.
- Delete the Epson folder from your hard drive.
- Go to Library > Printers > PPD > Contents > Resources.
- Find your printer on the list and remove it.
- Next, go to Library > Cache folder and delete the Epson folder.
- Close the hard drive window and turn on the printer.
- Go to Epson’s official website and download the correct driver software.
- Start the software installation.
- Test print to see if the filter failed error has been fixed.
Why does my Mac keep saying filter failed?
When you upgrade to a newer version of macOS, the printing system may have changed. This can cause problems when you try to print something.
You will need to delete your current printer drivers, re-download them from the Epson website and re-install it.
How do I reset my printer on my Mac?
- Click on the Apple menu > System Preferences > Printers & Scanners.
- Hold the Control key as you click on the list, and select Reset printing system from the menu that appears.
- The list of printers will be empty after you reset the printing system.
- Now you can add your printer to the list again.
How to fix a clogged Epson printer?
How to use the Head Cleaning utility for Windows?
To clean the print head using the Head Cleaning utility for Windows, follow these steps:
Before you start the print head cleaning process, make sure there is plain paper loaded in the tray and the output tray is extended.
- On the bottom right of the screen, right-click your printer icon in the Windows taskbar.
- Select Nozzle Check.
- Click on Print to print a nozzle check pattern.
- Check the printed pattern to see if there are any inconsistencies.
- If you don’t see any inconsistencies, click on Finish. This indicates that your print head is not clogged.
- If you still see poor print quality, click on Clean > All Colors > Start.
- When the cleaning process is complete, click on Print Nozzle Check Pattern.
If the print quality hasn’t improved, you will need to repeat the head cleaning process a few times.
This may be due to old or damaged ink cartridges that need to be replaced.
How to use the Head Cleaning utility for Macintosh?
To clean the print head using the Head Cleaning utility for Macintosh, follow these steps:
Make sure that you have paper in the tray and that the output tray is extended before you start the print head cleaning process.
- Click on the Apple menu and select System Prefrences.
- Click on Printers & Scanners.
- Select your printer from the Printers list and click on Options & Supplies.
- Click on the Utility tab and then Open Printer Utility.
- From the Epson printer utility window, click on Nozzle Check and then click on Print.
- Check the printer nozzle pattern before clicking on Finish.
- Click on Clean > All Colors > Start to clean the print head.
- When the cleaning process is complete, click on Print Nozzle Check Pattern > Print to print another nozzle check pattern.
It is important not to turn off the printer while the power light is flashing. If you do, you may damage the printer. If the print quality still has not improved, you will need to repeat the print head cleaning process a few more times.
It’s also possible that some of your ink cartridges may be old or damaged and may need to be replaced. If you have an inkjet printer, it’s recommended to print a few pages every month to keep the ink cartridges from drying out.
How to use the control panel buttons for Head Cleaning Utility?
To start the manual print head cleaning for your Epson printer:
- Press and hold the Stop/Cancel button until the green light flashes then release the button.
- The print head cleaning will begin. Just wait until the head cleaning is finished or until the green light is stable and stops flashing.
To start a nozzle check manually:
- Place some plain paper in the tray.
- Turn off your printer.
- Press and hold the Stop/Cancel button. While holding down the button, press the Power button.
- Hold down both buttons for at least 5 seconds and release them both.
- The printer will print the nozzle check pattern when the nozzle check is complete.
Although printer problems can be frustrating and seem like a waste of time, it’s important to remember that they can often be fixed fairly easily.
By following the steps outlined in this blog post, you should be able to get your printer back up and running as quickly as possible so that you can continue with your business as normal.
Have you ever had to deal with a printer issue? If so, what was the solution? Let us know in the comments below.